Coming off the historic multi-year partnership announcement earlier last month, adidas and the Premier Lacrosse League (PLL) unveiled the official uniforms for the 2019 inaugural season. The new looks will make their on-field debut June 1 and 2 when the best lacrosse players on the planet take the field at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass.
As the signature element of the new partnership, the PLL adidas Lacrosse jerseys are engineered for elite performance and set the tone for the next generation of lacrosse. Taking inspiration from the speed and energy of the game and fusing it with iconic 1980’s references and imagery, adidas designers collaborated with PLL athletes and the executive team to conceptualize, design and create the look for the new league.
“As the Creator sports brand, we set out to both challenge the status quo and blend the past with the future,” said Todd Rolak, Sr. Designer for adidas U.S. Sports. “We’ve created and delivered some radical, game-changing concepts that showcase our vision for the sport and highlight each team with unique tonality, team crests, graphics, and typography. These concepts serve to help elevate each team’s identity and foster new lacrosse club communities.”
The PLL features a total of six teams, including the Archers LC, Atlas LC, Chaos LC, Chrome LC, Redwoods LC and Whipsnakes LC. Here’s a detailed look into the inspiration and design for each uniform:
• Archers – Taking the theme of a sharpshooter and centered around the design elements of an arrow, Archers LC uniforms are detailed with feather fletching graphic elements on both the sleeves and short panels. To complete the package, Archers LC helmets are donned with an arrow from the team logo.
• Atlas – Featuring a bull as a statement mascot that represents size, strength and speed, Atlas LC jerseys integrate a topographical pattern to pay homage to the team name. With baby blue and white as the base colors, the shorts are adorned with a bull horn to accentuate the team mascot. To finish out theme, Atlas LC helmets feature a bullhorn from the team mascot and team moniker on the back.
• Chaos – Chaos is defined as complete disorder and confusion, which is exactly what would happen to someone in the center of swarm of scorpions. Highlighted by the team moniker on the chest, a repeating scorpion inspired graphic adds a battle armor of texture to Chaos LC’s jersey. Additional design details include a scorpion logo on the left arm and helmet.
• Chrome – Inspired by the regal armor of knights and demonstrating strength and flair, Chrome LC jerseys blend references of knighthood with an 80’s inspired flair. Featuring a chainmail graphic pattern, the black home jersey showcases a knight’s helmet on the chest and Chrome moniker on the lower back. The white away jersey features the Chrome’s moniker on the chest laid over a video game inspired grid graphic pattern and the knight’s helmet on the lower back. Finishing touches include wings that adorn both the home and away helmets.
• Redwoods – Representing the unforgiving wilderness of the forest, Redwoods LC jerseys are ingrained with a graphic tree pattern that forms three vertical stripes and are complemented by a brown bear in the team crest. Completing the head-to-toe look, the green home helmet features the graphic tree pattern to match the jersey. The white away jerseys draw inspiration from the trunks of the majestic giants, coming to life as three maroon vertical stripes and the away helmet is highlighted by the team crest.
• Whipsnakes – To signify the lightning fast and venomous strike of a snake, Whipsnakes LC jerseys are anchored by a team crest that closely resembles the shape of a coiled snake that creates an outline of a lacrosse head. Both home and away jerseys incorporate a tonal snakeskin graphic pattern and are decked out with the Whipsnakes’ moniker on the lower back. The final strike for the Whipsnakes is the “Whips” nickname emblazoned onto their snakeskin pattern helmets.
The PLL features over 160 players on six teams competing in a tour-based mode throughout the summer, taking place in 13 U.S. cities over a total of 14 weeks starting June 1, 2019. NBC Sports will present 16 games on NBC Sports Network (NBCSN), and three on NBC, all of which will also be streamed via authentication on NBCSports.com, and the NBC Sports app. NBC Sports Gold – NBC Sports’ direct-to-consumer live streaming product powered by Playmaker Media – will live stream 20 games exclusively for its subscribers.
PLL adidas Lacrosse team jerseys now available for $90 (Adult) / $80 (Youth) each at shop.premierlacrosseleague.com, and also available at each stadium on the 13 city tour.