1. Thom Browne credits his father’s collection of grey and blue separates as inspiration for his use of subdued tones. Dyed a rich navy tone, this sweater is made from soft merino wool and decorated with the brand’s signature horizontal stripes down one side. The ribbed hem and crew neckline keep it looking neat.
Striped Merino Wool Sweater $920 Shop
2. You’ll get lots of wear out of this Polo Ralph Lauren’s sweater – its light-grey mélange colourway works well with most neutral shades, making it the perfect year-round layer. It’s spun from cotton and linen-blend and finished with comfortable ribbed trims.
Polo Ralph Lauren
Mélange Cotton and Linen-Blend Sweater
3. Thom Browne’s sweater offers up a playful take on traditional Fair Isle by incorporating mirrored trumpetting elephants. It’s knitted from a substantial wool and mohair-blend in the label’s signature tricolour palette and has striped buttoned slits at either side.
Fair Isle Wool and Mohair-Blend Sweater
4. There’s often more than meets the eye with Mr. Daniel Lee’s Bottega Veneta designs. This sweater has been rib-knitted in Italy from a black wool-blend and has dropped shoulder seams, so the cuffs graze your knuckles.
Ribbed Wool-Blend Sweater
5. Saman Amel maintains a small production line to ensure pieces like this cardigan are crafted with the utmost care. It’s knitted from plush merino wool that’s soft and breathable and has a zip fastening, so it works as a light jacket during transitional months.
Merino Wool Zip-Up Cardigan
6. Frescobol Carioca’s designs are relaxed and easy to style – the brand draws inspiration from the laid-back lifestyle of Rio de Janeiro. This ‘Leblon’ sweatshirt is made from particularly soft organic loopback cotton-jersey and has curved seams that recall the brand’s swirling ‘Copacabana’ print.
Leblon Organic Loopback Cotton-Jersey Sweatshirt
7. Balmain devotees will appreciate this loopback cotton-jersey hoodie, not only for its varsity-style moniker, but for the trademark side zips, too. The ribbed trims will prevent it from losing its shape, no matter how regularly you wear it.
Logo-Appliquéd Loopback Cotton-Jersey Hoodie
8. Kiton’s half-zip sweater has been knitted from wool in a midnight-blue shade that will complement the majority of your wardrobe. The yarns are ultra fine – almost a touch sheer- making it ideal for layering under jackets and blazers.
Wool Half-Zip Sweater
9. Polo Ralph Lauren’s sweater has a really fine handle, meaning it’s great for layering in the colder months. It’s knitted from a cotton and linen-blend that’s dyed in a classic navy hue and finished with flexible ribbed trims.
Polo Ralph Lauren
Cotton and Linen-Blend Sweater
10. Designed by Spanish artist Mr Vicente Vela in 1970, Loewe’s emblem is inspired by the metal irons that were used to mark cattle and leather skins. This sweatshirt is made from navy loopback cotton-jersey and embroidered with the logo in white thread at the chest. The ribbed trims give it an enveloping feel.
Logo-Embroidered Loopback Cotton-Jersey Sweatshirt
11. As with all its pieces, Inis Meáin’s sweater has been expertly handmade on the island with which the brand shares its name. It’s knitted from a prized Donegal merino wool and cashmere-blend in neutral tones of grey, black and white that are so versatile.
Donegal Merino Wool and Cashmere-Blend Sweater
12. Vetements’ AW20 collection sees the brand’s distinctive tongue-in-cheek slogans taking centre stage. Printed with mirrored ‘Censored’ lettering, this hoodie is cut from cosy fleece-back cotton-blend jersey in an oversized shape. Take styling cues from the runway by pairing yours with tailored trousers.
Oversized Printed Fleece-Back Cotton-Blend Jersey Hoodie
13. Knit from a chunky 100% cashmere, this Italian-made cardigan from Tom Ford in black has a ribbed design with turned up cuffs, a shawl collar and button-down front.
$ 2,490 Shop
Knitted wool vest
$ 505 Shop
Oversized knitted cardigan
$ 1,100 Shop
Striped V-neck sweater
$ 950 Shop
This heavy padded gilet from Brunello Cucinelli is Italian-made from supple 100% cashmere in pale grey, is lined with technical fabric and filled with down feathers, and has a hood.
Cashmere hooded gilet
$ 3,495 Shop
GG striped wool sweater
$ 980 Shop
Kabelo wool-blend cardigan
$ 570 Shop
$ 2,500 Shop
Part of the Gucci exclusive capsule collection, this reddish long-sleeve cardigan offers a relaxed fit, with a classic collar, patterned print at the chest and brown buckle detailed fastening.